Skip to content
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 30g butter, chilled, chopped
- Double cream, to serve
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round springform pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Step 2Make streusel Combine brown sugar, demerara sugar, pecans, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl.
- Step 3Using an electric mixer, beat softened butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in self-raising flour and milk.
- Step 4Spread two-thirds of batter into prepared pan. Top with half the streusel. Spoon over remaining batter. Smooth top.
- Step 5Place plain flour and chilled butter in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in remaining streusel. Sprinkle over cake.
- Step 6Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if over-browning). Stand in pan to cool. Serve with cream.