These Rainbow Cupcakes are made with a simple boxed white cake mix, colored, and layered to make a rainbow, with whipped cream cheese frosting on top!
Rainbow Cupcakes Recipe
Yield: 18 cupcakes
- 1 (15.25oz) box white cake mix
- Ingredients for cake mix as stated on box (Use only egg whites if that is an option. My box said 1 1/4 cup water, 1/3 cup oil, 4 egg whites.)
- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple Food Coloring/Gel
- 1 recipe The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting (link in instructions below)
- 1/2 (8oz) tub whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- Rainbow Sequins/Celebration Confetti/Rainbow Sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box (do the egg whites version over whole eggs, if there are two options), then divide the batter evenly into 6 bowls.
- Using food coloring or paste, mix these 6 colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
- Prepare cupcake pan(s) with 18 paper liners.
- Put each batter into a zip-top sandwich bag and cut off one corner to pipe with. It’s best if you cut one bag at a time, so the cake mix doesn’t spill out as you layer the batter.
- Squeeze the colored batters, one at a time, into the paper liners. Pipe the edges of each cupcake first, right up against the cupcake liner, then fill in the centers. Pipe colored batter in the order the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. (If you want red on top, like a real rainbow, start with purple and go backwards. Updated pictures are below the recipe card.) Smooth each layer of batter with your finger before moving on to the next color. *TIP: Do all the red batter first, then all the orange, etc.
- Once all the layers are finished, bake the cupcakes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 11 to 13 minutes. Baking them at a higher temperature forces the cake to grow upwards and bake quicker, so it doesn’t have time to spill over the top and get sunken in the middle.
- Prepare The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting. Beat in half of an 8oz tub of whipped topping with a handheld electrical mixer. Fit a piping bag with a coupler (no tip or band) and then fill the bag with the frosting.
- Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake from the outside in towards the middle. Sprinkle with rainbow sequins. (*Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 or 5 days.)
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!