Mexican spiced chicken topped with a creamy cheese sauce makes this, Mexican Chicken with Cheese Sauce delicious any night of the week.
- yield: 4 SERVINGS
- prep time: 10 MINUTES
- cook time: 25 MINUTES
- total time: 35 MINUTES
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded, do not use the bags!
- Mix together your seasonings and season both sides of the chicken breasts well.
- Heat a grill pan over medium to high heat, and grill your chicken until done. (int temp 165 deg f)
- Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pot, melt your butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in your flour and cook until it begins to just bubble around the edges.
- Add in the milk, slowly, whisking to combine as you go.
- Continue to whisk until your mix as heated through.
- You’ll want to check the temp (I use my finger). You want it to be hot enough to melt the cheese, but not boiling.
- When the mix is hot, start whisking in your cheese in small amounts at a time until all of the cheese has been mixed in.
- Once the cheese is melted, stir in your paprika and cayenne pepper. Season with salt if needed. Serve hot over the chicken.
This dish is great on top of plain rice or alone. However, it is best served with our Perfect Mexican Rice.
This cheese sauce is also very good as a cheese dip for your chips!