Looking for a chicken breast recipe that isn’t totally bland and boring? Look no further than this cheesy, savory number. If you don’t have any white wine, feel free to sub in more chicken broth or water.
Cheesy Mushroom Baked Chicken
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 25 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 4 (4-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 10 oz. small cremini mushrooms, halved or sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped chives
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place on a small sheet tray. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add and sear chicken about 2 minutes per side until golden. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish.
- Return skillet to medium heat, melt butter. Cook mushrooms and onions, stirring frequently until onions are soft and golden, and mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add white wine to skillet and scrape to deglaze brown bits from pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce until there is about 2 tablespoons liquid left. Stir in broth and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Top each chicken breast with mozzarella and sprinkle mushroom mixture all over, creating an even layer.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, and cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Top with parsley and chives before serving.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!