These Moist Chocolate Cupcakes are made completely from scratch! The cupcake is made with oil and is so moist, it melts in your mouth with a fudgy frosting!
Best Homemade Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes, plus cooling time
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 6 tbsp (43g) Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3 tbsp (22g) Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
- 5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4–5 tbsp (60-75ml) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium sized bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Add about half of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency of frosting.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!